This page contains information about Blackjack and the card counting technique in this game. Our experts have gathered information about the pros and cons of this technique, strategies for using it, and the value of the King, Ace, Jack, etc. Also, study our answers to the gamblers’ frequent questions. Check out our blackjack guide card and use it wisely.
What is Blackjack?
Blackjack is an ancient and one of the most popular games in the world. It is believed to have been invented in Italy in the 15th century. Now this game is one of the main gambling entertainment, both in offline casinos and in the portfolio of gambling websites.
Blackjack has many variations, the rules of which are slightly different from the game’s original version. For example, in the American variant, the dealer has one open and one closed (hole) card. With an ace or ten open, the dealer opens a hole card, and the game ends if he has 21 points on his hand.
In the European variation of the game, the dealer takes the second card only after the end of dealing the cards to the players. This is a serious advantage of the house, because the employee does not know if he has 21 points, and experienced players cannot guess this from his behavior.
Here are a few more variations of this game:
- Double Exposure;
- Spanish 21;
- Caribbean 21;
- Super Fun 21;
- Pontoon, etc.
Basic rules of Blackjack
The main task is to beat the dealer. To do this, you need to score more points than him, but not exceed the figure of 21 points. The game uses up to eight decks, which significantly increases the randomness factor during the dealing.
A brief process of the game:
- Players must place bets before the dealing;
- Then two cards are dealt to each player;
- The dealer deals himself one card (or two if the game is played in American variant of the game);
- If one of the players immediately scored 21 points, then he can relax — he is the winner. For the rest, the game is not over yet;
- Players who have less than 21 points can take another card, or stay with the same number of points;
- If a player took a card and a Blackjack turned out, then he also won;
- If a player has taken a card and exceeded the limit of 21 points, then his bet goes in favor of the casino;
- If the dealer also has 21 points in his hand, then all players who have less than 21 points lose.
The worst number of points that can be on a player’s hand is 17. He has very little opportunity to improve his position, so most often such players prefer to stay at 17.
Blackjack card value chart
For a successful game, you need to know Blackjack card values. Without this, you may not even sit down at the gaming table, because this is the basic rule. Knowing this rule depends on whether you can succeed or lose.
We will help you find out every Blackjack card value:
- The ace is equal to 1 or 11 (depending on the number of player/dealer points);
- 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are equal to their face value;
- 10, Jack, Queen, and King are equal to 10.
You should know that the value of cards is unchanged. It is the same both in the rules applicable in offline casinos and the rules of the game on gambling sites.
How To Count Cards in Blackjack
There are several strategies for counting cards in Blackjack. The most famous and easy for newbies is the Hi-Lo strategy. The players using it should remember that to count, you need to assign a specific value to the cards:
- 10, Jack, Queen, King, and Ace: their value -1;
- 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6: their cost is +1;
- 7, 8, and 9 have a value of 0.
Players using the Hi-Lo strategy calculate in their head after each card is dealt. Say, if a King was dealt, 1 should be subtracted from the original score. If a 2 was dealt, then 1 should be added. And so on.
There are several more advanced techniques. However, they are suitable for more experienced players because they require more time to study and prepare.
Why would I not count cards in Blackjack?
You don’t need to use the counting when playing in offline casinos because they don’t like it. You may be held accountable for this cheating. The most harmless kind of technique is calculating in your head. However, even the most experienced gamblers sooner or later fell for it.
Why do I need to count in Blackjack?
Because it will help you win. Experienced gamblers know that the use of counting techniques can increase their success rates in online casino games. Coupled with knowledge of the rules and nuances of the Blackjack card game, this gives you more chances to win.
Tips on how to use the Blackjack card number technique
Our instructions on how to use the counting in an offline casino:
- Be calm. Your behavior will be studied every second. If the staff finds you suspicious, then you risk being excluded from the game;
- Count in the head. We recommend that you train the technique before applying it. Then you won’t have to spend a lot of time in the real game;
- Do not use mechanical or mobile devices for counting. It is very important. If the casino staff proves that you use such a trick, you risk a lot. The most harmless thing is an exception from the game. A little worse is the ban on visiting a certain casino. Finally, in the USA, for example, you can be prosecuted under the law for cheating.
What about card counting online Blackjack?
The Blackjack card counter can also work in the online version of this game. However, here it does not bring as much benefit as when playing at the gambling website. The fact is that many online casinos use special software to shuffle the deck after each hand. This makes the counting process more complicated and confusing. The advantage of the technique when playing online is that if you count yourself, no one will be able to find out.
Some programs can count for a player. However, their use when playing in an online casino is prohibited.
In this review, you were able to learn about the tricks of counting in Blackjack. It is actively used by players, both offline and online casinos. It is easy to learn how to count — you only need to remember the cost of each card and practice. Study the brief facts that accumulate the information collected in our review:
- Blackjack card counting is more effective when enjoying the game in an offline casino;
- When enjoying Blackjack online, the counting becomes more complicated, because the deck is shuffled after each hand;
- Card counting is a technique that offline casino staff don’t like. If they find out that you are using it, then you may be asked to leave or banned from the gambling establishment;
- There are several strategies for counting in Blackjack. The most popular among them is the Hi-Lo Strategy;
- Learning how to use the technique is easy. It’s a little more tricky to put it into practice.
Note that you don’t have to use the counting tricks to win at Blackjack. This game is favorable to the players. With the proper application of skills, knowledge of the rules and the favor of luck, you can bring your winnings closer.
Is it possible to win Blackjack without counting cards?
Of course! If you know the rules of the Blackjack game well, then you don’t have to count the cards. You can use various strategies to increase the chances of success.
Does counting cards help you win?
Yes, counting in Blackjack can seriously increase the chance of success. However, this technique needs to be learned. Plus, many casinos prohibit it. You may even be banned from visiting a gambling establishment.
Why do I need to count cards in Blackjack?
Proper counting can significantly increase the chances of winning at Blackjack. In offline casinos, there were cases when players who used this technique broke a big jackpot.
Will I be punished for counting in Blackjack?
Yes, you can be punished. It is forbidden to use various electronic and mechanical devices for counting in an offline casino. It is not recommended to calculate in your mind either. Of course, no one can forbid it. However, if casino employees suspect a player of counting, they may be asked to leave. There were cases when such players were banned in specific gambling establishments. There were even world gambling stars among them.
Is it tricky to count in Blackjack?
There’s nothing complicated about it. You will only need time to train. After successful practice, you will be able to use this helpful technique in the online card game.